Term: Gothic revival (architecture)
a style popular ca. 1850-1880 whose characteristics include pointed arches, steeply pitched roofs, pinnacles, and battlements. In Wisconsin, churches of this style were frequently built in stone, although a number were constructed of wood in a manner sometimes referred to as "Carpenters' Gothic." An excellent example of a wooden Gothic Revival church is St. John Chrysostom (NRHP 1972), built in Delafield between 1851 and 1853. Many of Wisconsin's major communities have one or more stone Gothic Revival churches, such as the Chapel of St. Mary the Virgin at Nashotah, built of gray limestone from a nearby quarry in the 1860s, and Grace Episcopal Church (NRHP 1976), an English Gothic Church of indigenous sandstone built from 1855 to 1858 in Madison. Gothic Revival houses usually display steep pointed gables, often with decorative bargeboards, octagonal towers or turrets, and verandahs or porches. Two excellent domestic examples of the style are the imposing William T. Leitch House (NRHP 1975), built in Madison between 1854 and 1857, and the A.G. Tuttle House (NRHP 1980), built in 1869 in Baraboo. View more information elsewhere at wisconsinhistory.org
View pictures relating to architecture at Wisconsin Historical Images.
[Source: Cultural Resource Management in Wisconsin (Madison: State Historical Society of Wisconsin, 1986).