Term: Nashotah House
Description from John W. Hunt's 1853 Wisconsin Gazetteer: "NASHOTAH, House, the oldest institution of learning in the State, is located on the eastern bank of the upper Nashotah Lake, in the town of Summit, Waukesha county. It was chartered in 1847, and has all the powers and privileges of a University. At present the only department in operation is the Theological, which numbers about 30 students. The Board of Instruction consists of 3 Professors and 2 Tutors. It has a library of about 4,000 volumes. It is an institution of the Protestant Episcopal Church, and endeavors are now being made to place it upon a permanent foundation, which promises to be successful."
View a related article at Wisconsin Magazine of History Archives.
[Source: Hunt, John W. Wisconsin Gazetteer (Madison, 1853)]