Borrowing Microfilm from the Genealogical Society of Utah (LDS)
The Genealogical Society of Utah (GSU), also known as FamilySearch, is the largest genealogy organization in the world. It holds millions of primary historical documents such as civil registrations, church, probate, census, land, tax and military records.
You can borrow microfilm records from the GSU and have them sent to the Wisconsin Historical Society for viewing. The microfilm cannot leave the Society's Library and must be used onsite.
How to Locate a Record in the Genealogical Society of Utah's Collections
Go to the FamilySearch.org catalog page to start a broad search by place or surname.
- Place Search: enter the name of a town, county or state. Then click the Search button.
- Surname Search: enter the last name. Then click the Search button.
- Warning: the Society only handles microfilm or microfiche from GSU. When searching records, look for "Format: On Film." GSU uses this phrase to describe microfilm/microfiche format. Once you find an item you would like sent to the Society, make sure its format is microfilm or microfiche. If the format is not available on microfilm or microfiche, it's possible that your item or other records related to your family history may be in the Society's collections. Note the item's title and then search the Library Catalog (formerly MadCat).
How to Order a Microfilm Record
Create a FamilySearch account, if you don't already have one. Select the Wisconsin Historical Society as the option for "My Family History Center." This will guarantee that the film is sent to the Society.
- To order microfilm of a record, click on the film number located under "Film Notes" on the item page.
- An "Online Film Ordering" page will appear in a new window. You will see a list of all the records included on the film you are ordering and the borrowing fee.
- Click "Add to Cart" and follow the directions through the ordering process.
Borrowing fees are paid online via credit card or PayPal. Borrowing length varies but is usually around six weeks.
Once you have placed an order, FamilySearch will notify you by email on the status of your order.
You will also be notified by email when the film has arrived at the Wisconsin Historical Society Library.
The GSU microfilm must be used onsite and cannot leave the Library.
Who will you find?
10-percent discount on vital records, microfilm and more at the Wisconsin Historical Society!
Become a member today!