State Register of Historic Places — New Listings
The State Register of Historic Places is Wisconsin's official listing of state properties determined to be significant to Wisconsin's heritage and is maintained by the Society's Division of Historic Preservation-Public History. The State Historic Preservation Review Board meets quarterly to review and approve nominations to the state and national registers of historic places. Listings include sites, buildings, structures, objects and districts that are significant in national, state or local history, architecture, archaeology, engineering or culture. The board recently approved the following properties for listing in the State Register of Historic Places:
- Wisconsin Pavilion, Neillsville, Clark County — The Wisconsin Pavilion (pictured above) originally stood in Flushing Meadows, New York, as one of the state buildings at the 1964-1965 New York World's Fair. During the early stages of planning, however, it appeared as though Wisconsin would go unrepresented due to the cost and the loss of commercial support from some Wisconsin firms. Hearing of this dilemma, Clark Prudhon, president of Evansville's Pruden Steel Buildings, commissioned Monticello architect John Steinmann to design a low-cost structure of donated Pruden Steel. Steinmann's design symbolically expressed the state's Native American heritage and was in keeping with the fair's modern architecture. At the close of the fair, Ivan Wilcox of Boscobel bought the pavilion and had it dismantled and returned to Wisconsin. In 1965 Howie Sturtz and Wayne Garp purchased and moved it to the Clark County Fairgrounds in Neillsville. They hired the original architect to reconstruct the building and design its new lower level and interior. Pruden Steel assisted and replaced missing or damaged pieces. The building reopened in July 1967 and is now the home of WCCN and WPKG radio stations and of a Wisconsin products gift shop. The building is open to the public during regular business hours.
- Frey School, the town of Roxbury (Dane County) — This one-room, sandstone school was built between 1870 and 1881 as the town of Roxbury District No. 2 School. Agidius and Anna Frey had donated the half acre of land for a school in 1855. By 1870 Roxbury's population had outgrown the original wood-frame school, and several other schools were in need of replacement. Over the next 10 years the town replaced four of the original six frame schools with ones built of locally quarried sandstone. The exterior of the school is simple in design, and its most outstanding feature, besides its stone walls, is its pointed-arch entrance. The interior consists of a narrow vestibule which opens into the classroom. The Frey School had no indoor plumbing. The Frey family supplied water and firewood for the school's wood stove. The building didn't receive electricity until well into the 20th century.
- Paramount Knitting Mill Company, Beaver Dam, Dodge County — This mill is associated with several of Beaver Dam's largest manufacturers, and is the only relatively intact industrial building once powered by the Beaver Dam River. The four-story, red-brick building served cotton milling from 1883 to 1906 and Bear Brand Hosiery Company from 1911 until 1934. When the hosiery plant closed in 1934 in the heat of a labor strike, the city acquired the property. In 1937 Beaver Dam convinced Milwaukee's Weyenberg Shoe Company to open a plant in the building, which operated until 2005. The building is currently undergoing a renovation approved under the Historic Preservation Tax Credit program
- Vernon County Normal School, Viroqua, Vernon County — The former school, built in 1919, is one of the finest and most intact of the buildings that once housed Wisconsin's 32 county normal schools. The County Normal School program operated from 1899 to 1971 to fill the growing need for qualified teachers for Wisconsin's rural schools. During its 64-year history, nearly 2,000 teachers received their training in this building. Today the former school is the headquarters of the Vernon County Historical Society and is open to the public.
Other properties approved by the State Historic Preservation Review Board were
:: Posted January 13, 2011