Remembering Wisconsin Civil War Letters
As the reservation deadline of August 5 quickly approaches, we invite you to join the Wisconsin Historical Museum for Taste Traditions of Wisconsin: Civil War Letters on Thursday, August 11, from 6 to 9 pm. Michael Edmonds, deputy administrator of the Society's library and archives, will discuss the incredible and comprehensive digital collection, Wisconsin in the Civil War, being put online in commemoration with the 150th anniversary of the Civil War. Actors under the direction of Sarah Marty from Forward Theater Company will bring letters from this collection to life with a dramatic reading. Photos from the Society's Civil War archive will also be shown. A dinner catered by Circolo Catering will feature Wisconsin summer ingredients.
A Sumptuous Dinner Menu
The buffet dinner menu will include:
- Main course: Door County Pork Loin with Sour Cherry Reduction
- Side dishes: Four-Cheese Macaroni and Cheese, Broccoli with Sea Salt, Sliced Bread and Butter
- Desserts: Cheesecake Squares with Chocolate Ganache Bottoms, Mini Fruit Filled Phyllo Tarts
- Drinks: Lemonade, Iced Tea, Coffee
- Special 8th Infantry Cocktail featuring Old Sugar Distillery Cane and Abe Freshwater Rum, generously donated by Old Sugar Distillery
- Beer generously donated by Great Dane Pub and Brewing Co.
Tickets are $22.50 for Society members and $25 for non-members. Advanced reservations are required by Friday, August 5. To make reservations call 608-264-6555 or register online.
Another Taste Traditions Event
Another event in the series, Civil War Memories and Mementos, will feature a talk by the museum's curator of costumes and textiles Leslie Bellais about some of the objects in the museum's Civil War Memories and Mementos exhibit on Saturday, August 13. An iced-tea-and-cookies reception will follow her talk. Taste Traditions of Wisconsin is a regular series that highlights Wisconsin's rich culinary heritage through food, history and sharing stories.
:: Posted July 25, 2011