Helping to Save Historic Homes and Properties
You can help double support for the Society's Historic Preservation Web Initiative by making a special, one-time gift before April 30. A grant from Preserve America, an initiative of the National Park Service and the U.S. Department of the Interior, will match gifts dollar-for-dollar through April. As part of the Society's Forward! Campaign, the Historic Preservation Web Initiative will provide key online resources for people working to preserve historic places in Wisconsin and throughout the nation.
Historic Preservation Web Initiative
Despite a significant and growing demand for these resources, currently there is no single definitive source for people seeking basic information about historic preservation projects. To respond to that need, the Society's Historic Preservation Web Initiative will provide free, convenient and easily accessible information, tools and training. These key resources will benefit homeowners, commercial building owners, local preservation commissioners and community groups. They will also serve as a model to those throughout Wisconsin and the nation.
Launched in April of 2010, the Historic Preservation Web Initiative has already made available four decades of data on 128,000 historic buildings in Wisconsin — an invaluable resource to support ongoing preservation efforts.
What the Completed Project Will Mean
Once the project is complete:
- Homeowners will be able to research the history of their homes, learn how to identify common issues, and access how-to training for fixing problems or working with building professionals.
- Commercial building owners will have access to technical preservation training to address common rehabilitation concerns and also find tips about possible sources of financing.
- Local preservation commissioners will gain a greater understanding of their role in local government and promoting preservation in the community.
- Preservation advocates will find information needed to organize a local preservation advocacy group, explain how to communicate the values of preservation to the community and advocate for the protection of historic buildings as community assets.
We Need Your Support
Saving historic places requires dedicated people backed by the right resources. Your gift will help ensure future generations will inherit a Wisconsin in which history is displayed in its structures, where heritage is celebrated with regularity, and our identities are closely linked with our past.
Please consider making a special gift in support of this project before April 30. Your gift will be matched dollar-for dollar by a grant from Preserve America, doubling its impact throughout Wisconsin and the nation.
Easy Ways to Donate
To make a donation to the Historic Preservation Web Initiative:
- Mail a check payable to the Wisconsin Historical Foundation, P.O. Box 260050, Madison, WI 53726-0050. Please include the words "Historic Preservation" on the memo line of your check to further ensure accurate processing.
- Contact Juliet Page at 608-264-6580 or via email.
:: Posted March 29, 2012