Five Wisconsin History Makers Honored at Gala
2009 History Makers (left to right): W. Jerome "Jerry" Frautschi, Pleasant Rowland Frautschi, Richard L. Davis, Stephen H. Marcus and Harry C. "Buddy" Melges
The Wisconsin Historical Society honored the lifetime achievements of five top leaders with ties to the state on May 27 during its Fourth Annual Wisconsin History Makers Gala at Milwaukee's historic Pfister Hotel.
The Wisconsin Historical Foundation produced the event on behalf of the Society, which included a reception, dinner and awards ceremony.
The 2009 class of Wisconsin History Makers includes:
- Richard L. Davis
University of Wisconsin-Madison professor of bass, jazz history and combo improvisation
- Harry C. "Buddy" Melges
chairman of Melges Boat Works, based in Zenda, Wisconsin
- Stephen H. Marcus
chairman of the board of The Marcus Corporation, based in Milwaukee
- Pleasant Rowland Frautschi
philanthropist and creator of the The American Girls Collection ® of historically accurate books, dolls and accessories
- W. Jerome Frautschi
philanthropist, most well known for his generous gift that made possible Madison's Overture Center for the Arts
This diverse group of leaders was recognized for their historic and continued contributions to Wisconsin, the nation and the world.
History Makers Past and Present
Ellsworth H. Brown, The Ruth and Hartley Barker Director of the Society, began the evening's program by welcoming the approximately 350 supporters and thanking the co-chairs of the event, Mary Buestrin of Mequon and Murph Burke of Fox Point. He also recognized past award recipients in attendance, Ada Deer, Vel Phillips, Dr. Alfred (Cy) Tector and Nan Pollard. Retired Milwaukee broadcast journalist and Vice President of Human Resources for Journal Broadcast Group, Ed Hinshaw, served as emcee for the evening.
This year's award presenters, the awards and their recipients are as follows:
- Caroline Loniello presented The Spencer Tracy Award for Distinction in the Performing Arts to her close friend, internationally acclaimed musician Richard Davis of Madison.
- Milwaukee business leader Jack McKeithan presented The Samuel C. Johnson Award for Distinction in Corporate Leadership to his longtime friend and chairman of the Marcus Corporation, Stephen H. Marcus of Milwaukee.
- Suzanne Melges presented The Vince Lombardi Award for Distinction in Sports to her father in-law, world-renowned yachtsman and chairman of Melges Boat Works, Harry C. "Buddy" Melges Jr. of Lake Geneva.
- Rhona Vogel presented The Jane Bradley Pettit Award for Distinction in Philanthropy to her friends and business associates, philanthropists Pleasant Rowland Frautschi and W. Jerome Frautschi of Madison.