Cataloging Historic Cemeteries
Steps to Catalog a Historic Cemetery
Burial Site Report Form(PDF, 78KB)
STEP 1: Contact the burial sites office
to confirm whether or not the cemetery
of interest has already been cataloged.
If the cemetery you are interested in has been cataloged you don't need to go any farther. It is receiving the ultimate protection offered by the Burial Sites Preservation law.
If the site has not been cataloged then proceed to STEP 2.
STEP 2: Find and copy the following information:
- All deeds relating to the cemetery
- Legal metes and bounds description listed on tax records
(These can be obtained from the tax assessor or the County's Real Property Lister)
- The Property Identification Number (PIN#)
- Property Owner Information
(Full Legal Name, address, phone number)
- If the cemetery is owned by an organization, association or the town, you must provide a contact name, address, and phone number
- Photographs of the cemetery
- One should show an photograph of the sign containing the cemetery's name
STEP 3: Include your name, address and phone number in the package
STEP 4: Send the above information to:
Burial Sites Preservation Program
Wisconsin Historical Society
816 State Street
Madison, WI 53706-1482
If you have any questions regarding this process, contact the Burial Sites Preservation Program office at: 1(800) 342-7834.