2602 N Sherman Blvd (T. Heggland photo, 2003)
2319-21 N Sherman Blvd (T. Heggland photo, 2003)
3254 N Sherman Blvd (T. Heggland photo, 2003)
Third Church of Christ Scientist (T. Heggland photo, 2003)
North Sherman Boulevard Historic District
2100-3400 N. Sherman Blvd.
Milwaukee, Milwaukee County
Period of Significance: 1907-1955
The North Sherman Boulevard Historic District is a residential street running north from Washington Park to West Keefe Avenue. Sherman Boulevard was one of a series of early twentieth century boulevards that influenced the physical development of Milwaukee. The Milwaukee Park Commission used boulevards to link the city's parks. In addition, developers created boulevards to attract higher income residents to a newly platted neighborhood. Adjacent streets became more desirable by their proximity to the more affluent boulevards, increasing the value of nearby lots and attracting prospective homeowners.
Sherman Boulevard developed in the early twentieth century as an outstanding collection of popular middle class architecture mostly inspired by colonial, Mediterranean, and northern European designs. The street's boulevard status encouraged flamboyant designs such as the Blankstein family's Mediterranean Revival house at 3259 N. Sherman or the Maertz family's eye-grabbing log bungalow at 2602 N. Sherman. These homes sit side by side with other fine Craftsman, Tudor Revival, and Mediterranean Style designs, many by notable Milwaukee architects. Public schools and churches built along on the boulevard further enticed would be owners. Sherman Boulevard remained a prestige address throughout its development, attracting people to its broad, stately street and high quality homes.
The houses in the district are private residences. Please respect the privacy of the residents.