Shelton Farmstead house (J. Rausch photo, 2003)
Shelton Farmstead barn (J. Rausch photo, 2003)
Shelton Farmstead shed (J. Rausch photo, 2003)
Shelton Farmstead outbuilding (J. Rausch photo, 2003)
William and Mary Shelton Farmstead
N2397 County Highway K
Town of Seven Mile Creek, Juneau County, Wisconsin
Builders: Roth Brothers Construction Company
The Shelton Farmstead is a model 1920s farmstead, improved and "modernized" during a period when domestic engineers and agriculture experts freely offered advice on all aspects of farm life. People throughout the nation, including farmers, formed a distinct idea of the kind of house they wanted because of increased communication in general and the proliferation of popular magazines such as House Beautiful and trade journals such as Hoards Dairyman.
The Shelton farm features a stucco-covered two-story house with a gable roof and long front and rear porches, and a Wisconsin Dairy barn with its associated silo and milk house. A granary and a machine shed display pegged-beam construction that is characteristic of the 19th century.
In 1925, the Shelton family remodeled their farmhouse, which was built on the pioneer farm of Henry Dawes in 1863. They incorporated the latest design trends and household systems into their home. The remodeling opened up the first floor space into an informal family living center and created private bedrooms on the upper floor. The Sheltons installed central heat, electricity and bathrooms at a time when only one in ten farm homes in the United States had a bathroom and one in four had electricity.
The Shelton family was noted in the community for their interest in the latest farming technology. They used scientific bulletins published by the College of Agriculture and the Agricultural Experiment Station at the University of Wisconsin when the Roth Brothers Construction Company constructed their new barn in 1927. The Shelton barn is similar to the general-purpose dairy barn plan in a bulletin published by the Agricultural Experiment Station in 1916. The interior of the barn displays the ventilation system researched and designed by Franklin H. King, a professor at the University's Agricultural College and Experiment Station.
William Shelton moved to this farmstead in 1907 when he married Mary Powers, the daughter of the landowner. Both the Shelton and the Powers families were immigrants from Ireland, who moved to the area in the late 1840s and in the mid-1850s. Descendents of the Shelton and Powers families continue to own the property at the present time.
The farm is a privately owned. Please respect the privacy of the residents.