Randall Avenue Historic District
Roughly bounded by Ridegway Boulevard and Oakdale and Glenwood avenues
De Pere, Brown County
Dates of construction of contributing buildings: 1908-1955
By 1937, the Fox River Valley economy was recovering from the effects of the Great Depression and new home construction in the De Pere area was starting to revive. One of the first De Pere suburbs to benefit from this revival was the Randall Avenue Historic District, which became the focus of the activities of real estate dealers in both Green Bay and De Pere. Depression era work projects had paved the area's major artery, Broadway, the principal north-south running highway connecting De Pere to Green Bay. Broadway is located just one street west of the district and its paving meant that what had once been a time-consuming journey by either public or private transport was now an easy commute for automobiles. Convenience and the natural beauty of the district sold lots. By 1942, half the lots in the district were developed and the district was well on its way to becoming one of De Pere's premier residential neighborhoods.
While the neighborhood contains a mix of architectural styles, it is the district's Colonial Revival houses, all built between 1928 and 1955, that form the core of its architectural identity. The most notable of the district's houses is the superb Georgian Revival style Elmer Stone residence at 722 Nicolet Ave., built in 1949. It was one of the last houses designed by Madison, Wisconsin architect Frank M. Riley, one of the state's finest period revival style specialists.
The homes in this district are private residences. Please respect the rights and privacy of the residents.