N. Michigan St.-N. Superior St. Historic District
Roughly bounded by Ridgeview Boulevard and by N. Wisconsin, N. Huron, and George streets, De Pere, Brown County
Dates of construction of contributing buildings: 1867-1954
The 114 houses and school building that make up the N. Michigan St.-N. Superior St. Historic District constitute the oldest residential neighborhood in the city of De Pere, one of Wisconsin's oldest communities. Jesuit priests first settled this location as early as 1670, but the city got its start in 1835 with the construction of a dam across the river to create waterpower for industry. The original plat of De Pere was recorded in the same year and part of that plat is included within the boundaries of the District. Little was built here until 1850, when a bridge was built across the dam, linking the two sides of the river. Once the bridge was in place, commercial districts quickly evolved at both ends of the bridge and many of the houses in the neighborhood were built for persons who worked in the commercial area on the east side of the river.
Most of the houses in the District are small to middle-sized examples of the various architectural styles and vernacular forms popular in De Pere during the period. The oldest houses are Italianate examples that date from the 1860s and the early 1870s, but there are also numerous smaller Queen Anne, Bungalow, American Foursquare, and Colonial Revival and Dutch Colonial Revival houses throughout the neighborhood.
The houses in the district are private residences. Please respect the rights and privacy of the owners.