Use the smaller-sized text Use the larger-sized text Use the very large text

Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places

View Summary/Photo Page

Back

Drummond Business Block (E. Wheeler photo, 2006)

Drummond Business Block detail (E. Wheeler photo, 2006)

Drummond Business Block (E. Wheeler photo, 2006)

Drummond Business Block
409-417 Galloway Street
Eau Claire, Eau Claire County
Dates of Construction: 1879-1884

Built in three phases from 1879 to 1884, the two-story Drummond Business Block is separated into four separate storefronts. The sections are divided by brick pilasters with groups of two or three windows placed symmetrically in each bay. In 1910, owners unified the appearance of the block by adding a pressed metal cornice and a brick veneer, covering the old fašade.

Canadian born David Drummond (1849-1918), who settled in Eau Claire in 1870 and entered into the meat packing business in 1873, erected the Drummond Business Block. The Drummond Packing Company at 409-411 Galloway Street housed the office, refrigeration plant, and later, a meat market for Drummond Packing Company. By 1914, it was one of the largest and most complete packing plants in northwestern Wisconsin. Drummond was also one of the founders of the Eau Claire Gas Light Company, and his business interests later expanded to include real estate development and furniture manufacturing.

Part of the Drummond Business Block building at 415-417 Galloway was associated with the Eau Claire Grocer Company from 1883 to 1933, a large wholesale grocery business, and later the Farmers Store Company from 1916 to 1945.

The Drummond Business Block is privately owned and supports a mix of manufacturing, specialty and residential uses.

Back

select text size Use the smaller-sized textUse the larger-sized textUse the very large text