Use the smaller-sized text Use the larger-sized text Use the very large text

Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places

View Summary/Photo Page

Back

Union Auto Company (E. Wheeler, 2006)

Union Auto Company (E. Wheeler, 2006)

Union Auto Company detail (E. Wheeler, 2006)

Union Auto Company
505 South Barstow Street
Eau Claire, Eau Claire County
Date of Construction: 1917

The Union Auto Company building is located on the south end of Eau Claire's historic commercial area at a highly visible intersection. This two-story, brick building was the second in downtown Eau Claire designed and built specifically for automobile sales and repair. The large floor-to-ceiling, street level windows are indicative of its original use as an automobile showroom. The core structural elements are of reinforced concrete, a relatively new technology that allowed for automobile display, storage and/or repair on all three levels from the basement to the second floor. An original feature of the building was an elevator that lifted automobiles to the upper floors.

From 1917 until 1975, the Union Auto Company building was occupied by a number of auto-related businesses. In 1977 the upper level of the building was converted into apartments, and in 1980 the showroom area was converted into a bar and restaurant.

Today the Union Auto Company building is adaptively re-used for a variety of commercial uses. The basement continues to be used as a parking garage. The building is open during normal business hours.

Back

select text size Use the smaller-sized textUse the larger-sized textUse the very large text