Use the smaller-sized text Use the larger-sized text Use the very large text

Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places

View Summary/Photo Page

Back

Perry House (R. Hoppe photo, 2006)

Perry House (R. Hoppe photo, 2006)

Perry House interior (R. Hoppe photo, 2006)

Melvin W. and Mary Perry House
519 Third Street, Algoma, Kewaunee County
Architect: W.W. De Long
Date of Completion: 1909

Melvin Perry, entrepreneur, industrialist, politician and philanthropist, was a central figure in the development of Algoma. Perry occupied this house from its completion in 1909 until his death in 1951. His establishment of the Ahnapee Veneer and Seating Company in 1892 coincided with the arrival of the first railroad in Algoma. Both developments sparked the city's industrial rise. The company eventually became the largest employer in the city. It produced veneer seating and paneling, as well as furniture for commercial use. Perry also helped found and lead the Algoma Net Company in 1914 and the Algoma Foundry and Machine Company in 1922. Additionally, he served as city alderman, mayor, and Wisconsin State senator. He was active on the school board and school building committee. He played an important role in the conversion of an old factory into a community center, and he deeded two blocks of his own property to establish a park and athletic field. The prominence of the Perry house reflects the important role that Mel Perry played Algoma's growth.

The Perry house incorporates elements of both Colonial Revival and Shingle Style architecture. The exterior is composed of weatherboard siding on the first floor with cut cedar shingles covering the second floor and dormers. The fašade is dominated by a two-story gambrel-gabled projection, sitting above two pairs of Ionic columns. The entry porch is framed by a large, semi-circular, stone arch. Many windows feature leaded clear beveled glass. The house underwent a significant remodel in 1920, which included the addition of two sunrooms. A garage that harmonized with the style of the house was added in 1923. The building's interior showcases decorative elements produced by Perry's own company, functioning as an advertisement for his products. Many of the downstairs rooms utilize mahogany Ionic columns, oak or mahogany veneer paneling, and decorative maple and oak flooring.

Today the Perry house functions as a bed and breakfast. Please respect the privacy of the residents and guests.

Back

select text size Use the smaller-sized textUse the larger-sized textUse the very large text