Use the smaller-sized text Use the larger-sized text Use the very large text

Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places

View Summary/Photo Page

Back

West Bend Chicago & NorthWestern Depot (E. Miller photo, 2007)

West Bend Chicago & NorthWestern Depot (E. Miller photo, 2007)

West Bend Chicago & NorthWestern Depot (E. Miller photo, 2007)

West Bend Chicago & NorthWestern Depot
Veterans Avenue at Willow Lane, West Bend, Washington County
Architects: Frost and Granger
Date of construction: 1900

The West Bend Chicago & NorthWestern Depot is a long, one-story, frame, Craftsman-influenced building set on a stone foundation. The depot is a variation of the Chicago & NorthWestern "Number One" combination depot, a standard plan containing a baggage section and a passenger/ticket office section. The depot is thought to have been designed by the Chicago architectural firm noted for its many railroad depot designs, (Charles Sumner) Frost and (Alfred Hoyt) Granger.

The presence of the Chicago & NorthWestern Railway facilitated West Bend's development as a regional center for shipping agricultural and industrial products, and connected the city to national markets. The Chicago & North Western Railway built frame combination passenger/freight depots around the turn of the century for the many smaller communities it served in Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, and the Dakotas. Passenger service to West Bend was discontinued in 1971 and the depot is the only surviving building associated with the railroad in West Bend.

Back

select text size Use the smaller-sized textUse the larger-sized textUse the very large text