Use the smaller-sized text Use the larger-sized text Use the very large text

Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places

View Summary/Photo Page

Back

Frank T. and Polly Lewis House (T. Heggland photo, 2007)

Frank T. and Polly Lewis House (T. Heggland photo, 2007)

Frank T. and Polly Lewis House, interior (T. Heggland photo, 2007)

Frank T. and Polly Lewis House, interior (T. Heggland photo, 2007)

Frank T. and Polly Lewis House
509 N. Main Street, Lodi, Columbia County
Architect: Carl C. Menes
Construction Date: 1902

The Queen Anne style Lewis House sits on a bluff-top parcel in the heart of the city of Lodi overlooking Goeres Park and Spring Creek. The house was designed by Carl C. Menes, a Norwegian immigrant who arrived in Wisconsin in 1886 at the age of 16 and subsequently moved to Lodi with his wife and children in 1897 and practiced there for the rest of his life. Menes, like his father before him, was trained as a carpenter, but by the time he built the Lewis house he had become a self-taught architect of more than average ability.

Menes's design for the Lewis House is a fine example of the kind of smaller Queen Anne residential designs favored by members of Wisconsin's middle class in the late 1890s. The Lewis House has most of the features that are typically associated with Queen Anne style residences, such as an irregular plan, polygonal bay windows, a wrap-around front veranda, and a main elevation that is dominated by a five-sided turret topped with a tent-shaped roof. The house also has a fine, largely original interior.

The Lewis House is a private home. Please respect the rights and privacy of the residents.

Back

select text size Use the smaller-sized textUse the larger-sized textUse the very large text