Use the smaller-sized text Use the larger-sized text Use the very large text

Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places

View Summary/Photo Page

Back

Salsbury Row House (E. Wheeeler photo, 2008)

Salsbury Row House (E. Wheeeler photo, 2008)

Salsbury Row House, owner unit interior (E. Wheeeler photo, 2008)

Salsbury Row House
302-310 West Grand Avenue, Eau Claire, Eau Claire County
Date of Construction: 1891

The Salsbury Row House is a two-story, wood frame, five-unit row house located across the street from the Eau Claire County Courthouse. Situated prominently on a corner lot, this multi-unit building is one of the most distinctive properties in a neighborhood consisting of a mix of large homes, churches, and small commercial structures built in the late 19th and early 20th century. This property was historically and is currently owner occupied with the owners living in the corner unit. The owner occupied unit has a larger floor plan and higher style design than the four rental units.

The row house was built for James F Salsbury, an early Eau Claire lawyer and land developer in the Chippewa Valley. This residence is also associated with William S Kelley, an Eau Claire business and civic leader, and his sister Mae Kelley. The Kelleys owned and occupied the property in the early part of the 20th century.

The Salsbury Row House is a well preserved example of a late Victorian row house, a dwelling type found mainly in larger cities on the east and west coasts. In Wisconsin, row houses are rarely found outside of Milwaukee. It is the only surviving example of the row house type in Eau Claire.

The Salsbury Row House consists of private residence and is not open to the public. Please respect the rights and privacy of the occupants.

Back

select text size Use the smaller-sized textUse the larger-sized textUse the very large text