Use the smaller-sized text Use the larger-sized text Use the very large text

Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places

View Summary/Photo Page

Back

Curtis House (J. Landowski photo, 2006)

Curtis Carriage House (J. Landowski photo, 2006)

David W. and Jane Curtis House
213 East Sherman Avenue, Fort Atkinson, Jefferson County
Architect: Henry C. Koch
Construction Date: 1885, 1900

Located two blocks from downtown Fort Atkinson, the D.W. Curtis house is one of the city's finest examples of the Queen Anne style. It was designed by architect Henry C. Koch and constructed in 1885 for the D.W. Curtis family.

The original owner of the house, D. W. Curtis, and five generations of Curtis descendents played an influential role in the history of Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin. David W. Curtis died in 1919 and the estate was then transferred to his wife Jane and son Harry. As president of Creamery Package Manufacturing Company, Harry H. Curtis laid a stable foundation for the development of the enterprise and played an active role in its success. There were about 150 stockholders in the Creamery Package Mfg. Company living in Fort Atkinson in 1920, at which time a new building, still standing today, was erected to house the Creamery Package.

The Curtis House ranks among the finest of the area's early Queen Anne houses, retaining virtually all of its exterior and interior features and has a completely unaltered carriage house. The wood-sided house is articulated with layered ornamental fish scaled peaks and sunburst gables. The windows on the house have an ornate crown and sill. The foundation is of limestone and the first and second stories are clad in cedar siding. A somewhat later wrap-around porch on the main south facade with an extending entrance balcony and a projecting bay on the east side contribute to the architectural quality of the building.

Many of the features unique to the character of Queen Anne style can be seen throughout the Curtis house in nearly original condition. From the large marble fireplace to the prism glass windows, the Curtis house has a vibrancy of color and character in every room that tells a story about the Curtis family and the city in which they lived for many years.

The Curtis House is a private residence. Please respect the rights and privacy of the property owners.

Back

select text size Use the smaller-sized textUse the larger-sized textUse the very large text