Use the smaller-sized text Use the larger-sized text Use the very large text

Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places

View Summary/Photo Page

Back

Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church and Parsonage (T. Heggland photo, 2008)

Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church (T. Heggland photo, 2008)

Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church (T. Heggland photo, 2008)

Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church Parsonage (T. Heggland photo, 2008)

Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church and Parsonage
236 and 254 W. Mill St., Columbus, Columbia County
Architect: Edward Townsend Mix
Construction Dates: 1878-1887/ 1885

The Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church's 125-foot-tall steeple has been a prominent visual landmark in the city of Columbus for 130 years. This cream and red brick-clad church is an excellent example of the High Victorian Gothic style and it is also a very fine example of the ecclesiastical work of Milwaukee architect Edward Townsend Mix. Mix was one of the most important architects practicing in Wisconsin in the last half of the nineteenth century. Although his best known work is located in Milwaukee, Mix also was active in designing buildings in other states and in other Wisconsin cities, including Columbus, where his ad ran in the Columbus Democrat through much of the 1870s.

The Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church was built in 1878 and was enlarged in 1887 utilizing the same materials and design elements. The church's cream brick-clad Italianate Style parsonage, built in 1885 and enlarged in 1903, is located next door. The parsonage's builder and probable designer was Columbus carpentry contractor Richard D. Vanaken, who was also the church's builder.

Both the church and its parsonage continue to serve the Zion Evangelical Lutheran congregation. The parsonage is a private residence. Please respect the rights and privacy of the residents.

Back

select text size Use the smaller-sized textUse the larger-sized textUse the very large text