Use the smaller-sized text Use the larger-sized text Use the very large text

Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places

View Summary/Photo Page

Back

Fountain Inn (S. Mikos photo, 2009)

Fountain Inn (S. Mikos photo, 2009)

Fountain Inn, interior (S. Mikos photo, 2009)

Fountain Inn, interior (S. Mikos photo, 2009)

Fountain Inn
203 Front Street, Beaver Dam, Dodge County
Date of construction: 1911
Architects: Leiser & Holst

The Fountain Inn is a remarkably intact early twentieth century brewery-built tavern, located in downtown Beaver Dam, Wisconsin. It was built in 1911 for the J. Philip Binzel Brewing Co. of Beaver Dam. The building has been in continuous use as a tavern since 1911, except during Prohibition, when it remained open as a soft drink parlor. The Fountain Inn appears to have been designed and built together with the adjacent Masonic Temple, which was designed by the Milwaukee architectural firm of Leiser & Holst and constructed by D.B. Danielson, also of Milwaukee.

Although it is a modest two-story structure, the Fountain Inn is nicely detailed and possesses many elements that are typical of early twentieth century "Main Street" commercial architecture. The original storefront has a recessed entry and plate glass display windows. Extending over the door and windows is a transom of Luxfer prism glass tiles, which were popular in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century as a means of refracting light so it would reach farther into the interior of a building. The interior is also largely original, with an ornate oak bar made by the Brunswick-Balke-Collender Co., brick walls, and a ceramic tile floor. Like many other early twentieth century commercial buildings, the Fountain Inn has an apartment on the second floor. The building's flat roof is hidden behind a decorative roof of green ceramic tiles, with ornamental rafters and a copper gutter.

Back

select text size Use the smaller-sized textUse the larger-sized textUse the very large text