Use the smaller-sized text Use the larger-sized text Use the very large text

Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places

View Summary/Photo Page

Back

Mt. Horeb Public School (T. Heggland photo, 2009)

Mt. Horeb Public School (T. Heggland photo, 2009)

Mt. Horeb Public School (T. Heggland photo, 2009)

Mt. Horeb Public School (T. Heggland photo, 2009)

Mount Horeb Public School
207 Academy Street, Mt. Horeb, Dane County
Architects: Claude & Starck and Law, Law, & Potter
Construction Dates: 1918/1941

The largely intact Mount Horeb Public School occupies the same elevated site where the village's first high school once stood. This earlier building was built in 1893 for a private school, the Lutheran Academy, but in 1903 the village bought it to house its high school students. When a fire destroyed this building in 1917, the village promptly built a new school and used the opportunity to replace the three small school buildings that housed the village's elementary school population. The new combined elementary and secondary school building was completed in 1918 and opened in 1919. The school is a fine example of the Prairie School style schools designed by Claude & Starck, a Madison architectural firm that produced numerous Prairie School style buildings in Wisconsin and elsewhere between 1900 and 1927. By 1940, this building was seriously overcrowded. As a result, the village constructed an addition on to the west end of the original building. The addition contained a large new gymnasium, which was designed by another prominent Madison architectural firm: Law, Law, and Potter. The expanded school continued to house all of the village's school children until 1963, when a large new high school was built. Today, the Mount Horeb Public School houses the village's primary center, where grades 1 and 2 are taught.

Lots in the surrounding neighborhood contain houses dating from the 1880s to the 1930s. An especially notable example is the very fine National Register-listed Prairie School style Henry L. Dahle House. This brick-clad house is located on the corner of Academy Street and S. Fourth St. across from the school. Claude & Starck designed the house and it was completed in 1916, just two years before the school was constructed.

Back

select text size Use the smaller-sized textUse the larger-sized textUse the very large text