Use the smaller-sized text Use the larger-sized text Use the very large text

Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places

View Summary/Photo Page

Back

Bellack House (T. Heggland photo, 20009)

Bellack House (T. Heggland photo, 20009)

Bellack House pergola (T. Heggland photo, 20009)

Albert M. and Alice Bellack House
628 W. James St., Columbus, Columbia County
Construction Date: 1897/1920-1923

The Bellack House is Columbus's only example of the Mission Style. This house began as a frame construction, clapboard-clad Queen Anne style building completed in 1897. It was still in an essentially unchanged state in the early 1920s when a trip by the Bellacks to the southwest introduced them to that region's Mission style buildings. Upon their return, Albert Bellack purchased the two corner lots adjacent to his own; he then tore down the small house located on these lots and set about transforming his old house into a Mission style one. This resulted in the elaborate Mission style remodeling of the south and east sides of the house, which were reclad in stucco. The Bellacks also constructed a long pergola that borders the driveway that leads up to the house from N. Lewis St. The stylistic transformation is all the more interesting for being incomplete, since the north and west sides of the house remain as they were originally. Today, the exterior of the house is still highly intact as is much of the interior, which also reflects the same partial stylistic transformation that the exterior of the house underwent.

The Bellack House is a private residence and is not open to the public. Please respect the rights and privacy of the owners.

Back

select text size Use the smaller-sized textUse the larger-sized textUse the very large text