Use the smaller-sized text Use the larger-sized text Use the very large text

Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places

View Summary/Photo Page

Back

State Bank of Spring Green (Eric Ferguson photo, 2010)

State Bank of Spring Green, detail (Eric Ferguson photo, 2010)

State Bank of Spring Green, interior (Eric Ferguson photo, 2010)

State Bank of Spring Green, interior (Eric Ferguson photo, 2010)

State Bank of Spring Green
134 West Jefferson Street, Spring Green, Sauk County
Date of construction: 1915
Architect: William Hilgen

The 1915 State Bank of Spring Green is a one-story, Neoclassical Revival-style building constructed of glazed, speckled beige brick, and features extensive use of custom-designed brown-speckled terra cotta ornamentation sourced from the Midland Terra Cotta Company of Chicago. Midland was an important supplier to architects of the era, especially those who favored the plain white glazed stock terra cotta ornament in the style of Louis Sullivan. The building, including the detailed terra cotta ornament, was designed by the prominent Cedarburg Wisconsin architect, William F. Hilgen. Nearly all of the elements of the interior of the bank remain essentially intact from the original construction, including: marble-faced teller cages, the bank vault and vault doors, wood doors and molding, coffered ceiling, light fixtures, wood floors, tile floors, and plaster walls. A modern addition to the rear of the building was completed in 2007 to accommodate the building’s current use as a restaurant.

At the time of its construction, the State Bank of Spring Green was one of two banks in the community. The building housed the bank until 1962. In 2007, after a period of use as an artist's studio and residence, the former bank was purchased and converted into a restaurant using federal rehabilitation income tax credits. The building is open during normal business hours.

Back

select text size Use the smaller-sized textUse the larger-sized textUse the very large text