Tygert Street Historic District
Tygert Street and Spaulding Avenue, generally bounded by Scott Street and East Lane Street, Ripon, Fond du Lac County
Dates of construction of contributing buildings: 1852-1950
John Scott Horner, one of Ripon's earliest pioneers and important developers, built the large stone house that anchors this district's south end. One of the earliest houses in the neighborhood, it has features of the Italianate style, popular in 1860 at the time of construction. Horner, who owned a large tract of land on the east side of Ripon, competed with others to develop residential housing near the downtown, but only a few mid to late nineteenth century houses were built in this area.
But, at the turn of the twentieth century, this district became a popular middle-class neighborhood, primarily with houses exhibiting the Queen Anne style. Ranging in date from around 1890 to 1910, it is this group of residences of a similar style, size, scale, and building materials that defines the architectural character of the district.
Unlike the larger and, perhaps, better known historic residential area south of Ripon's downtown, which is close to the hustle and bustle of Ripon College, the Tygert Street Historic District is somewhat cut off by main thoroughfares and other physical features. It is a neighborhood of quiet streets and of fine historic homes.
The houses in the neighborhood are private homes. Please respect the rights and privacy of the residents.