Use the smaller-sized text Use the larger-sized text Use the very large text

Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places

View Summary/Photo Page

Back

409 South First Street (Tim Heggland photo, 2011)

443 South First Street (Tim Heggland photo, 2011)

412 South First Street (Tim Heggland photo, 2011)

South First Street Residential Historic District
300-400 block South First Street, Evansville, Rock County
Dates of construction of contributing buildings: 1885-1910

The South First Street Residential Historic District contains eleven single family residences and is located in the south part of the city of Evansville. The district is characterized by its concentration of Queen Anne houses. Five of the homes were built between 1885 and 1891 and another five were built between 1891 and 1910. While nine houses are examples of the Queen Anne style, the tenth is an early example of the Dutch Colonial Revival style. Evansville builder/architect Benjamin S. Hoxie constructed five of the houses between 1885 and 1900. The three earliest are: the Darlin Mihills House located at 419 S. First St., built in 1885; the James & Elpha Gillies House at 349 S. First St., built in 1885; and Benjamin S. Hoxie's own house, located at 409 S. First St., also built in 1885. Hoxie’s other designs are at 408 S. First St., 1895, and 402 S. First St., 1900. These he constructed as personal investment properties. In addition to the Hoxie built houses is the Vivas & Phila Holmes House, located at 443 S. First St., built in 1910. The Holmes House was one of the last Queen Anne style houses built in Evansville, and although its designer has not been identified, it is also almost certainly an architect-designed building. It is the largest and most impressive of all of Evansville's numerous, excellent Queen Anne style houses.

The houses in this district are private residences. Please respect the rights and privacy of the residents.

Back

select text size Use the smaller-sized textUse the larger-sized textUse the very large text