Chambers House (Timothy Heggland photo, 2010)
Chambers House entry detail (Timothy Heggland photo, 2010)
Chambers House interior detail (Timothy Heggland photo, 2010)
Pearl and Eva Chambers House
1615 State Street, Eau Claire, Eau Claire County
Architect: Edward J. Hancock
Construction Date: 1928
The Pearl and Eva Chambers house occupies a prominent corner on one of the busiest streets in Eau Claire's Third Ward neighborhood, the traditional home of the city's business and professional elite. Pearl J. Chambers (1880-1941) grew up in Eau Claire and studied business at the Wisconsin College of Business. In 1908, Chambers joined the New Dells Lumber Co. in Eau Claire. At that time, it was one of the last of the lumber mills that had been instrumental in the establishment and growth of Eau Claire. By 1928, Chambers was the vice-president of the company and the time was right for a new home that reflected the family's status in the community. Their house was ready for occupancy early in 1929 and Chambers lived there until his death in 1941, while his wife, Eva, continued to live there until 1953, when the house was sold.
Edward J. Hancock, then Eau Claire's most prominent architect, designed the house. Hancock (1889-1930) was born in England but grew up in Fargo, North Dakota in the household of his uncle, Walter B. Hancock, who was an architect and a partner, along with George Hancock, in the very prominent Fargo architectural firm of Hancock Brothers. After working in his uncles' office and then as a partner in a Canadian firm, Edward Hancock settled in Eau Claire in 1915. In the next fifteen years he designed some of Eau Claire's finest public buildings; several of the best examples survive and almost all are fine interpretations of the various Period Revival styles. At the Chambers' house, wide overhanging eaves decorated with shaped beam ends shelter the tan brick walls; the hipped main roof is covered in dark orange-colored flat ceramic tiles. The house also exhibits some very fine wrought iron work and it contains a fine, highly intact interior.
The lots in the surrounding neighborhood contain many more houses dating from the 1880s to the 1930s. Many are listed in the National Register of Historic Places as part of one of the four historic districts that now cover much of the Third Ward.
The Chambers House is a private residence. Please respect the owners' rights and privacy.