Kellogg Library and Neville Museum (Mead & Hunt photo, 1999)
Kellogg Library and Neville Museum, interior (Mead & Hunt photo, 1999)
Kellogg Library and Neville Museum, detail (J. Draeger photo, 2003)
Kellogg Public Library & Neville Public Museum
125 South Jefferson Street, Green Bay, Brown County
Architect: Henry A. Foeller/ Marvin F. Stephenson
Date of Construction: 1903 & 1913 addition/ 1926
In 1883 Rufus B. Kellogg, president of the Kellogg National Bank in Green Bay, raised the idea of establishing a library. His idea was dismissed until 1887 when proceeds were donated to a library fund from Arthur C. Neville¿s ¿Evenings in Italy¿ series. The next year the City of Green Bay issued municipal bonds that were purchased by Kellogg. He gave them back to the city on the condition that Green Bay appropriate funding for library services for 50 years. Additional funds came from the Carnegie Foundation and a lot was donated by Bishop Sebastian G. Messmer.
Henry A. Foeller, Green Bay¿s foremost architect, designed the library building. The small scale NeoClassical form was formal and elegant, designed to be stylistically consistent with the public buildings surrounding it. An Ionic portico dominates the front façade. Details borrowed from ancient Greek architecture, such as the plain pediment with an antefix, an entablature and a plain frieze under the cornice, comprise the temple front. A similar façade faces the courtyard. The interior is illuminated with natural light. A skylight is located above the central circulation desk and the reading room occupies the sunniest corner of the building. A lecture room and other amenities are located in the lower level.
In 1926 an east wing was added in conjunction with the establishment of Neville Public Museum. The addition was designed by Marvin S. Stephenson a partner at Henry Foeller¿s firm, Foeller, Schober & Stephenson. The addition was intended to reflect the original style of the building.
In 1974 a new library was built for the city leaving the Kellogg Public Library vacant. It was subsequently rehabilitated into commercial offices and is now known as Jefferson Square. It is privately owned, please respect the privacy of its occupants.