Facade detail (J. DeRose photo)
Golda Meier plaque (J. DeRose photo)
Fourth Street School (B. McCormick photo)
Fourth Street School
333 West Galena Street, Milwaukee, Milwaukee County
Architect: H.C. Koch
Date of Construction: 1889
The Fourth Street School is now known as the Golda Meir School after the late Prime Minister of Israel. Meir attended the school from 1906 to 1912 and graduated valedictorian of her class; this is the only significant building remaining in Milwaukee associated with her life.
The Golda Meir School represents an era of expansion in the Milwaukee Public School System. The school was built in order to accommodate the increase in population and enrollment in the Brewers Hill area. It was one of twenty-six schools built in the district during the period of 1883-1892.
Well-known Milwaukee architect H.C. Koch designed the school. It is an excellent example of the Romanesque Revival style that he is most known for. The building is of masonry construction. The rusticated stone basement leads to brick piers that rise above the ground two stories high. Each pier is topped with a heavy cornice and terminates in an arch. The three levels of the building are clearly marked by stringcourses. These are defining Romanesque features. Other characteristics that can be found in the building include broad gables, prominent chimneys, and vast areas of glass. This building is the best example remaining of the Romanesque Schools designed in Milwaukee.
The school is still in operation today and is open during regular school hours.