Use the smaller-sized text Use the larger-sized text Use the very large text

Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places

View Summary/Photo Page

Back

Moon Memorial Library, interior (Mead & Hunt photo, 1999)

Moon Memorial Library (J. Dykema photo, 2006)

Moon Memorial Library (J. Dykema photo, 2006)

D.R. Moon Memorial Library
East Fourth Avenue, Stanley, Chippewa County
Architect: W. Channing Whitney
Date of construction: 1901

The D.R. Moon Memorial Library was built in memorial to DeLos R. Moon, an Eau Claire lumberman responsible for Stanley¿s development as a lumber center. He brought the Northwest Lumber Company to Stanley in the 1880s. In 1893 the Stanley, Merrill & Phillips Railroad, a subsidiary of the Northwest Lumber Company, provided employment and means for transporting large quantities of lumber from the company¿s camps. As settlement grew, community members showed interest in the creation of a public library. Stanley became incorporated as a city in 1898 and shortly thereafter the city council passed a resolution to establish a free public library and created a library board.

The D.R. Moon Memorial Library is a modest structure inspired by the popularity of classical styles for public buildings. W.C. Whitney, a Minneapolis architect, designed the building to compliment other public buildings in the community. The one story, T-shaped building rests on a stone basement. The projecting entrance dominates the front façade. It is distinguished by a compound round arch opening. Smooth Doric columns support the arch. These columns are echoed within the enclosure with a pair of Doric pilasters to either side of the doorway. On each side of the entrance a large rectangular window lights the interior. The composition of the exterior is unified with the denticulated entablature just under the roofline.

Another broad arch in the library¿s central room echoes the front entrance arch. Doric columns on pedestals distinguish the reading room from the stack areas. A large fireplace in the east wing creates a warm, domestic feeling. Its surround exhibits Doric colonettes, frieze and cornice that complement the overall classical design. A bronze plaque above the fireplace commemorates the Moon family¿s donation of the library.

The library is still in operation and is open during regular hours.

Back

select text size Use the smaller-sized textUse the larger-sized textUse the very large text