404 S Randall (Robert Prugh photo, 2003)
2023 Jefferson (Mark Powell photo, 2002)
1438 Vilas Ave (Jane Elder photo, 1999)
2101 Jefferson St. (Kristin Keepman photo, 2001)
Wingra Park Historic District
City of Madison, Dane County
Dates of significant construction: 1891-1940
Wingra Park was the first suburb in the City of Madison. It was platted on land purchased in 1889 by William T. Fish, located just west of the city limits. Fish organized the Madison Land & Improvement Co. to promote the newly created lots. He first targeted moderate income buyers such as merchants, clerks and bookkeepers. The economic depression and poor transportation slowed beginning development. With the efforts of the Wingra Park Advancement Association (WPAA), successful progress was assured by 1897.
The WPAA brought electric street lights and car lines to the area through the Madison City Railway Co. Advertising then shifted to the economic and social elite from overcrowded downtown residential neighborhoods. It was marketed as "Madison's Fashionable Suburb," ideal for "elegant residences." The City of Madison annexed the suburb in 1903.
The suburb is laid out in a traditional grid pattern on relatively flat land. It consists of medium-sized houses designed for middle-class families. Many of the buildings were produced by Madison's most talented architects and craftsmen. The earliest houses exemplify the Queen Anne style. A majority of the designs were from the Craftsman era including Prairie School and Bungalow styles. The area is also dominated by Colonial Revival and a wide variety of Period Revival designs.
The homes in this neighborhood are private residences. Please respect the privacy of the residents.