Federal Depository Library Discard Procedure
Wisconsin Depository Libraries in the Madison Region
Selective depository libraries do not need to notify regional depositories
when discarding publications which appear in the "List of Superseded
Selective depository libraries may, with the permission of their regional
depository library, discard other depository publications held for five or
more years. The procedure follows:
- Prepare a list of the publications. The list should be arranged by
Superintendent of Documents number, and include the title of each
series or monograph, the series number, or the years covered by
annual or biennial reports or periodicals.
- Send the list in Word or PDF format attached to an email message to the Government Publications librarian at Nancy.Mulhern@wisconsinhistory.org.
- The Madison regional librarian will go through the lists first, request
any needed materials and remove the items from the lists.
- Lists will then be posted on the
Government Publications home
page of the Wisconsin Historical Society. Lists
received during the first three weeks of a month will be posted in
the first week of the following month, unless otherwise indicated.
The lists will be maintained on the web page until the end of the
month in which they are posted.
- All publications must be held for the entire time that the list appears online.
- Libraries requesting items from the lists will be responsible for postage charges.
- It is strongly encouraged that selective depository libraries utilize the "Needs and Offers" list issued by the U.S. Government Printing Office to advertise the availability of discarding titles.
- Discard the remaining publications. If any of the publications are sold, the money must be sent to the Superintendent of Documents, Washington, DC 20402.