2002 Governor's Archives Award Winner Announced
Pictured are Carol Fure, Burnett
County Historical Society; and
George Vogt, former Director, WHS.
The Burnett County Historical Society is the winner of the 2002 Governor's Archives Award in recognition of their significant work done to establish a sound and active history research library and to substantially increase public access and usefulness of their archival collection.
During the summer of 1999, the Palmer family donated a log cabin from their property to the historical society. Society volunteers dismantled the 1933 cabin and reconstructed it at Forts Folle Avoine Historical Park. In the spring of 2000, the archives were moved into the log cabin and the Palmer House was dedicated. During 1999-2001, the society developed a financial support network to furnish the library.
The desire of the society and the library volunteers to provide quality service led them to apply for a mentoring grant from the Wisconsin Historical Records Advisory Board. Tim Ericson, assistant librarian for the Golda Meir Library, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, became the library's advisor. With his guidance, library volunteers created policies and procedures for the protection and use of historical records, rearranged the library interior for more efficient use of the space, developed a location aid system to more effectively store and retrieve materials for researchers, and began to inventory their complete collection. Other projects are ongoing, as a wide variety of people now make use of the services of the Palmer House library at the Burnett County Historical Society.