Organizing a Historical Society
The Wisconsin Historical Society assists all new historical societies
that become affiliates with the organizational steps
of preparing bylaws, incorporating and applying for
tax-exempt status. This assistance is provided by the
Society's field services offices in Madison and Eau
Claire to all new historical societies that receive
approval for affiliation by vote of the Board of Curators
of the Wisconsin Historical Society.
To be eligible for affiliation, an organization must satisfy the following criteria:
- The purposes of the organization must be primarily historical.
- Membership in the organization must be open to any interested person for the payment of reasonable dues.
- The organization must incorporate and receive tax-exempt
- The organization may not be a unit of government.
- The organization must include articles on:
- Affiliation and
- Dissolution in its bylaws as written in the sample bylaws
- The organization must be located in Wisconsin.
Become a Local History Affiliate
Learn more about becoming an affiliated historical society of the Wisconsin Historical Society.
To receive further information about organizing a historical society and affiliating with the Wisconsin Historical Society send a written inquiry to:
Wisconsin Historical Society
816 State Street
Madison, WI 53706-1482
Department of History Hibbard 731
University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire
P. O. Box 4004
Eau Claire, WI 54701-4004