That's The Ticket:
A Parade of Presidential Elections
|Presidential candidate:||DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER, U.S. Army General|
|VP candidate:||RICHARD NIXON, California Senator|
|Popular votes:||33,777,945 (54.9%)|
|Presidential candidate:||Adlai E. Stevenson II, Illinois Governor|
|VP candidate:||John Sparkman, Alabama Senator|
|Popular votes:||27,314,992 (44.4%)|
- This election was a reaction to the problems that beset Truman's second term.
- The nation was weary of the stalemated Korean War.
- White House conflict-of-interest scandals and alleged Communist infiltrations in government prompted the Republicans to vow to clean up Washington.
- War hero Eisenhower proved a popular candidate.
- Nixon's folksy "Checkers" speech countered a Democratic charge of impropriety.
- The vote underscored a desire for new leadership.