Hanging vase with metal holder
Decorated by Susan S. Frackelton, 1874-1909
Earthenware, copper and mother-of-pearl
Unglazed red earthenware hanging vase is ovoid-shaped and shouldered with a straight neck. The vase has one applied loop handle on shoulder and applied floral decorations on the neck and the body. It has a patinated wrought copper hanger-top made up of three leaves and three hooks with black electrical wire twisted around the hooks. A loop at the bottom attaches to three twisted vines, each made of three pieces. The vines are attached to three arm holders for the vase, with one arm inserted through the loop handle of the vase. Each arm has a decorative shield with mother-of-pearl in the center. The arms are attached to the bottom piece with rivets. The bottom piece consists of a curled vine, three down-turned leaves, and three up-turned leaves that support the bottom of the vase. A makers mark, "SF", is incised on the exterior bottom.
Donated in 1958 by Frackelton's daughter, Gladys F. Seely.
Back to Related Items