Learn more about NHD with our 2013-14
You'll get the contest
rules, an introductory student guidebook, a teacher's handbook,
theme information, and topic ideas.
Go to our request
information page to signup up for your CD today!
Learn About National History Day
- About History Day
What is National History Day? Get the answer and find out
more about the contest.
- Connections to Curriculum: State
Standards and Program Evaluation
- The National History Day program has been designed
to assist teachers and schools in meeting several educational
state standards. In Wisconsin,
National History Day supports the state Model Academic
Standards for Social Studies. A document is also available
about how National History Day meets national
- A recent national evaluation has confirmed the benefits
of National History Day, The study, conducted at four
sites around the country, found that on nearly every
measure, NHD students' scores or ratings were
higher than their peers who did not participate in the
program. Read more on the national
Get Involved with
National History Day
Rulebook (PDF , 991 KB)
Be sure to download the most recent version of the rulebook.
- 2014 NHD in Wisconsin Teacher Guide (PDF, 776 KB)
- 2014 NHD in Wisconsin Student Guide (PDF, 1.16 MB)
2014 National NHD Theme Book (PDF, 7.32 MB)
- 2014 Theme Narrative (PDF, 365 KB)
- 2014 NHD Topic Ideas (PDF)
- 2014 Wisconsin Topic Ideas (PDF, 150 KB)
- Full List of General Wisconsin Topics (PDF, 150 KB)
- Category Guides
- Media Presentations
- Theme Guide (Powerpoint, 50.5 MB)
This presentation takes a closer look at the annual theme as well as the breadth of topics possible for student research.
- Research for National History Day (Powerpoint, 50.5 MB)
Research is a key component to all History Day projects. This general presentation introduces student to possible research sources as well as the characteristics of good historical research. Supporting worksheets (PDF) will help your students to follow along as well as brainstorm resources for their own project.
- A Closer Look at NHD Exhibits (Powerpoint, 50.5 MB)
This Power Point takes students through several sample projects, highlighting tips and tricks for creating an exhibit. This is a large file (65 MB) because we left this Power Point uncompressed, which means some slides might take longer to load. However, higher image quality allows you to blow images up for classroom discussion.
- History Day Competitions and Judging (Powerpoint, 50.5 MB)
Students will learn more about the NHD competition cycle, what they can expect at a History Day event, and the judging and evaluation process.
- NHD in Wisconsin YouTube Channel