The history and development of Lawrence University
Times and Traditions: Lawrence University
In 1847, Reverend William Harkness Sampson selected a bluff above the Fox River in present-day Appleton as the site for a frontier school intended to afford "gratuitous advantage to Germans and Indians of both sexes." Lawrence University opened its doors on November 12, 1849, as one of the nation's first coeducational institutions. Lawrence merged with Milwaukee-Downer College for Women in 1964, itself a product of an 1895 merger between Milwaukee Female College and Downer College of Fox Lake. Both schools had pioneered programs for the education of women in the nineteenth century. This site looks at the 150 history and traditions of both Lawrence University and Milwaukee-Downer.
Immigration and Settlement|
The Founding of Social Institutions
|Creator: ||Lawrence University
|Pub Data: ||Time and Traditions. Appleton: Lawrence University, 1988. revised 1996.
|Citation: ||"Times and Traditions: Lawrence University." (Time and Traditions. Appleton: Lawrence University, 1988. revised 1996);
Online facsimile at:
Visited on: 6/20/2013