A souvenir from the Schlitz Palm Garden, 1896

Schlitz Palm Garden


The Schlitz Palm Garden opened in Milwaukee on June 6, 1896, and contained all of the flourish and grandeur of mid-Victorian architecture. Biergartens, or beer gardens, came to Wisconsin with German immigrants and were an important gathering place for families, politicians, artists, and celebrities. The most pretentious often featured exotic plants, artificial ponds, and fountains. Built in connection with a hotel on the corner of 3rd and Wisconsin, the Palm Garden was one of the most opulent and most popular beer gardens in the city, as this promotional souvenir attests.


Related Topics: Industrialization and Urbanization
Brewing and Prohibition
Creator: Schlitz Brewing Company
Pub Data: Milwaukee, Wis: Schlitz Brewing Company, 1896. (pamphlet 93-588)
Citation: Schlitz Brewing Company. "Schlitz Palm Garden." (Milwaukee, Wis.: Schlitz Brewing Company, 1896); Online facsimile at:  http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/turningpoints/search.asp?id=1185; Visited on: 9/30/2014
Join Now.