Documents relating to The Settlement's children's programs
Milwaukee's East-Side Haven for Children: Abraham Lincoln House Munster Settlement Needs Room
Milwaukee philanthropist and reformer Lizzie Black Kander and a group of Jewish women opened a mission for Jewish immigrants in March of 1896. The mission soon moved to its own building and became known as "The Settlement." Initially, The Settlement offered classes and social services to immigrants, but soon expanded its mission to include preparing Jewish children to be productive and prosperous citizens. As the list of programs grew, so did the need for space, and in 1910, a new building, the Abraham Lincoln House opened. This site, a part of the Children in Urban America Project, focuses on the history and services of The Settlement.