in Wisconsin History
A survey of Milwaukee's Hispanic community, 1976
The Latin Community on Milwaukee's Near South Side
The first Spanish-speaking immigrants settled on Milwaukee's near South Side, in an area once known as Walker's Point, in the 1920s. Originally settled by Yankees, Germans, and Norwegians, by the 1950s, the near South Side had the largest Hispanic community in the city and was the only remaining place that retained the sense of ethnic "urban villages" that had characterized Milwaukee in the 19th century. This study, completed in the 1970s, looks externally at the history, geography, and demographics of this community, as well as internally, through interviews with community leaders and residents.
Wisconsin's Response to 20th-century change|
|Pub Data:||Milwaukee: Milwaukee Urban Observatory, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 1976. (pamphlet 02-2821)|
|Citation:||Gurda, John. "The Latin Community on Milwaukee's Near South Side." (Milwaukee: Milwaukee Urban Observatory, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 1976); Online facsimile at: http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/turningpoints/search.asp?id=1261; Visited on: 10/22/2014|