The WPA-funded Herbster Community Center
Herbster Community Center
The Herbster Community Center was funded by the Work Progress Administration, a federal agency established in 1935 by President Roosevelt to provide employment for needy workers during the Great Depression. The WPA project at Herbster was developed to utilize local material and to employ local labor while achieving the final goal of erecting a building that could be used as a gymnasium and town hall. Approval for the community center was granted on May 13, 1939 and work on the project was started in October 1939. The center was completed in the spring of 1940 at the cost of $30,000. The project employed a crew ranging between 20 and 35 men. The large availability of labor in Herbster at the time was partially due to the decline of the lumber industry, which played an instrumental role in the formation of the town of Herbster.
Industrialization and Urbanization|
Depression and Unemployment
|Creator: ||Buck, Roland C.
|Pub Data: ||Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places.
|Citation: ||Herbster Community Center. Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places.
Online facsimile at:
Visited on: 4/25/2014