The University of Wisconsin's first building, North Hall
The University of Wisconsin was established after the passage of an act of July 26, 1848 by the Wisconsin legislature. The initial plan by Chancellor John H. Lathrop and developed in 1850, called for a quadrangle flanked by four dormitory buildings with a large central building at the top of the hillside site. The original drawings, by architect John F. Rague are now lost. North Hall, originally called North Dormitory, was the first building to be completed on campus. It contained the entire university for four years.
Immigration and Settlement|
The Founding of Social Institutions
|Creator: ||Rague, John F.
|Pub Data: ||Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places
|Citation: ||North Hall. Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places.
Online facsimile at:
Visited on: 12/13/2013