Use the smaller-sized text Use the larger-sized text Use the very large text

Old Spring Tavern

Old Spring Tavern


Charles C. Morgan built the Old Spring Tavern in 1854 with brick made from clay found on a nearby slope. Morgan, in partnership with James W. Gorham, chose the site as a perfect stopping place on the old Madison-Monroe stagecoach road leading to southwest Wisconsin lead mining area. A large spring behind the house was a major asset to the property because it provided water for traveling horses and oxen. In 1860 Morgan sold the inn to Gorham. Gorham closed the inn after joining the Union cause in the Civil War. In 1895, he turned the building into a private residence.

View the Document

Related Topics: Immigration and Settlement
Mining, Logging, and Agriculture
Development of the Railroads
Lead Mining in Southwestern Wisconsin
Creator: Morgan, Charles C.
Pub Data: Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places.
Citation: Old Spring Tavern. Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places. Online facsimile at:  http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/turningpoints/search.asp?id=1413; Visited on: 4/17/2014
  • Questions about this page? Email us
  • Email this page to a friend
select text size Use the smaller-sized textUse the larger-sized textUse the very large text