Use the smaller-sized text Use the larger-sized text Use the very large text

Oatman Filling Station

Oatman Filling Station


The Oatman Filling Station is an intact example of the house-type filling station, a building type erected in large numbers between 1920 and 1935. Designers of house-type stations addressed community objections to the location of gas stations in suburban neighborhoods by designing them to look like diminutive houses. These stations were pioneers of the automobile strips and demonstrated the economic success of free-standing commercial buildings with deep setbacks and easy vehicular access, which became the dominant commercial type for suburban America. The Oatman Filling Station was constructed in 1931, a period of expanding automobile ownership and gas station construction in Eau Claire.

View the Document

Related Topics: Industrialization and Urbanization
Automobile Culture
Creator: Unknown
Pub Data: Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places
Citation: Oatman Filling Station. Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places. Online facsimile at:  http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/turningpoints/search.asp?id=1422; Visited on: 4/19/2014
  • Questions about this page? Email us
  • Email this page to a friend
select text size Use the smaller-sized textUse the larger-sized textUse the very large text