The Southport Beach House in Kenosha
Southport Beach House
Southport Beach House, like most of Kenosha's park structures, was the product of Roosevelt's Works Progress Administration (WPA). The beach house was the culmination of a decades long vision for an extensive park system, beginning with the formation of the Kenosha Park Association in 1906. Kenosha's elite donated most of the land for Kenosha's park system by 1922, but it was not until 1925 that the city planner, Harland Bartholomew, began systematically developing park amenities. The city used WPA work relief funding to hire idled industrial workers for extensive park improvements. The Southport Beach House, begun in 1936, used recycled materials to cut costs.
Industrialization and Urbanization|
Depression and Unemployment
|Creator: ||Borggren, Christopher
|Pub Data: ||Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places.
|Citation: ||Southport Beach House. Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places.
Online facsimile at:
Visited on: 3/8/2014