The Harley-Davidson Motor Company
Harley-Davidson Motor Company
In 1903 William Harley, Art Davidson and Walt Davidson began to tinker in the shed behind the Davidson family home in Milwaukee, producing a three-horsepower, glossy black machine. Arthur Davidson and Bill Harley had met at the Barth Manufacturing Company where they were both employed. The historic core of the Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Company production facility consists of two large buildings built and expanded over a span of nearly 50 years. The original five-story brick building was begun in 1910 as part of the Harley-Davidson Company's first major expansion of its production facilities, reflecting its emergence as a world leader in motorcycle manufacturing.
Industrialization and Urbanization|
The Rise of Skilled Manufacturing
|Creator: ||Washburn, William H. and A.C. Eschweiler
|Pub Data: ||Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places
|Citation: ||"Harley-Davidson Motor Company." Wisconsin Register of Historic Places.
Online facsimile at:
Visited on: 12/11/2013