The Pabst Brewery Complex in Milwaukee
Pabst Brewing Company Complex
The Pabst Brewery was the principal production facility for one of the largest brewers in the world. Founded in 1844 by Jacob Best and his sons, the brewery originally produced ale, porter and whiskey in addition to the lager beer for which it ultimately became famous. Late nineteenth century mechanical and scientific advancements, many of which were either pioneered or refined at the brewery, improved the consistency of beer and helped increase production. These staggering production increases necessitated the construction of numerous specialized industrial buildings at the brewery, including a brewhouse, malt house and bottling works. Many of these buildings feature elements like battlements and crenellated towers, which reflect the German origins of Captain Pabst and, generally, the Germanic character of late nineteenth century Milwaukee.
Industrialization and Urbanization|
Brewing and Prohibition
|Creator: ||Hoffman, Charles; Strack, Otto
|Pub Data: ||Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places.
|Citation: ||Pabst Brewing Company Complex. Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places.
Online facsimile at:
Visited on: 4/23/2014