A Wisconsin stop on the Underground Railroad
In 1838, Joseph Goodrich, originally from New York, left for the West. Upon arriving, Goodrich moved an 1837 log cabin from Lima Township to his property, thereby founding Milton. Goodrich expanded the cabin to create the original Milton Inn. Goodrich soon needed more space and began to erect the Milton House in 1844. A tunnel discovered long afterward connects the cabin to the Milton House. Originally dug from the earth and lined in limestone, it was just large enough for a person to crawl through. Based on oral accounts and the vocal objections of Joseph Goodrich to slavery, historians believe that this tunnel was a stop on the Underground Railroad, which delivered many slaves to freedom. Runaway slaves used the tunnel to move from the cabin to a more secure hiding place in the basement of the Milton House.
Wisconsin in the Civil War Era|
Abolition and Other Reforms
|Creator: ||Goodrich, Joseph
|Pub Data: ||Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places.
|Citation: ||Milton House. Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places.
Online facsimile at:
Visited on: 4/24/2014