Winter quarters for the Ringling Brothers Circus
Ringling Brothers Circus Winter Quarters
In 1882 five Ringling brothers formed the Ringling Brothers Classic and Comic Concert Company. What later became the "The World's Greatest Show," opened in Baraboo in 1884 as a small wagon show with no bandwagon, no menagerie, and no wild animals. By 1907, the brothers had assembled the largest circus empire in the United States. To house the circus during the winter months, Ringling Brothers constructed wagon shops, animal barns, a rooming house, offices, and other specialty shops. The first building constructed for circus purposes was the "Ring Barn," built in 1884 to house performing horses.
The Progressive Era|
Travel and Tourism
|Pub Data: ||Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places.
|Citation: ||Ringling Brothers Circus Winter Quarters. Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places.
Online facsimile at:
Visited on: 6/20/2013